Shoplifting Lawyer in New Jersey
Contact a shoplifting lawyer in New Jersey if you have been apprehended for petty theft. Allegations of this kind of theft can result in both criminal and civil actions. I may be able to help you avoid or reduce penalties.
Call 973-453-2009 for a shoplifting lawyer
15 minute consultations are free
As an experienced shoplifting lawyer in New Jersey I can review police reports, video surveillance footage and witness testimony that usually used as evidence in petty theft charges. Let me devise a strategy to defend you in both the criminal and civil courtrooms. Public confrontations with store owners and accusations of theft can be humiliating and damaging to your professional and social reputation.
A shoplifting lawyer in New Jersey ensures that your rights are protected. Just like the police, a shop or store owner must be able to demonstrate probable cause. They can get it wrong! They must prove that you did, in fact, steal or attempt to steal merchandise from their place of business before they can apprehend you and press charges. Business owners must:
- Witness your approach a selection of the merchandise in question
- Witness your actions and efforts to conceal the merchandise
- Maintain uninterrupted observation of your actions once the merchandise has been concealed
- Witness your failure to pay for the merchandise
- Make a reasonable effort to peaceably detain you while authorities are called
- Business owners are not permitted to demand or conduct a strip search, nor can they forcibly search or restrain you
As a shoplifting lawyer in New Jersey I have been able to successfully assist my clients maintain their spotless criminal records. In so doing, I have also helped them avoid the lifelong complications resulting from a conviction on petty theft charges. Background checks for housing and employment opportunities are now fairly common practices, and a guilty verdict based upon shoplifting charges can ruin your chances for either.
You need a skilled shoplifting lawyer in New Jersey because the penalties can be very severe, and even a first offense conviction can be life changing. Here are the penalty scales:
Retail Value Less Than $200.00:
- A fine of up to $1,000.00
- Jail time for up to 6 months
- Possible court ordered restitution
- Possible civil proceeding for retail value of item(s) plus $150
Retail Value $200.01 to $500:
- A fine of up to $10,000
- Incarceration up to 18 months
Retail Value $500.01 up to $74,999.99:
- A fine of up to $15,000
- Incarceration from 3 to 5 years
Retail Value $75,000.00 or greater:
- A fine of up to $150,000
- Incarceration from 5 to 10 years
As a shoplifting lawyer in New Jersey I can provide you with a free consultation and determine how the current laws and sentencing structures may apply to your case.
Community service obligations in larceny cases are determined by the number of previous theft offenses:
- A first offense will result in 10 days of community service
- A second offense will result in 15 days of community service
- A third and subsequent offenses will result in 25 days of community service and 90 days of incarceration
If you need a shoplifting lawyer in New Jersey I am here to provide you with the aggressive and dedicated representation that you deserve. Call me if you have been unjustly detained by a retail store manager or clerk and charged with petty theft. I will examine every shred of evidence that they claim to have against you.
Call me in Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, Elizabeth, Morristown, Hackensack, Hoboken, Irvington, East Orange, Union City and throughout northern New Jersey. No attorney or law firm can guarantee the outcome of your case. However, I can provide you with a free evaluation of the details of your case, and help you tailor a defense strategy to pursue the best possible outcome.